Anorexia recovery is so hard, and a huge part of that is due to trying to come to terms with your ever changing body.
Something I have found helpful is having some body positive mantras to refer to, especially on the days where I hate my body. They’re not a perfect cure, but hopefully you might find that they make things just a little more bearable. Who knows, maybe the more we say them the more we will believe them?
- The problem is not your body, it’s how you feel about it
- Every body is a summer body
- Your body is your home
- There is no such thing as a perfect body
- No-one cares about your weight as much as you do
- You might not like your legs, but they take you places
- Life is too short to waste time obsessing about your body
- Nothing good ever comes from hating yourself
- Photos we see in the media are not reality
- Happiness isn’t a number
- You can love yourself without liking everything about yourself
- Your weight is not your worth
- Don’t value your body over your being
- You are allowed to take up space
- Your body is not meant to be at a weight you can only sustain through restriction
- Hating your body will never lead to happiness
- The only opinion about your body that matters is yours
- Your body keeps you alive and deserves care and respect
- Don’t let your mind bully your body
- Your body is an instrument, not an ornament
- You have to nourish to flourish
- You can’t hate yourself into a version of yourself that you love
- Your body is just the shell that houses your soul
- You are not alive just to pay bills and lose weight
- How much you weigh is the least interesting thing about you
I hope some of these might resonate with you and that you can find even just a couple to help you get through those difficult days. Don’t get me wrong, they aren’t a cure all and I do have days where no matter what I say to myself I don’t feel any better. But sometimes, a few positive and powerful statements can be just what I need.
Let me know if you have any you’d add to this list!