Over the last week I’ve had a few nominations for different posts, so I thought I’d join them all together.
Firstly, OneMoreLightLB at nominated me for a Blogger Recognition Award which is one I’ve not had before! I was then nominated to do the ‘This or That’ challenge by TheGoodTheHuman, and then to do the ’10 Unusual Facts’ challenge by PurllsOfWisdom. Thank you so much to all of you, I love these little tags!
Firstly, I’m going to write my Blogger Recognition Award.
The rules are as follows:
1. Write a post to show your award
2. Give a brief story of how your blog started
3. Give two pieces of advice for new bloggers
4. Thank those that nominated you and link their blog
5. Select other blogs to give the award to
How My Blog Started:
I never really used Twitter often at all – I didn’t really understand it but I’d heard so many people say what a great resource it is. I started to become more committed to it and along the way discovered some great blogs. I found my voice a few years ago and decided to extend that to social media, so Twitter became my outlet. However, I found I had a lot more to say than Twitter would allow, so after being inspired by some other great writers, I chose to carve out my own little section of the internet where I could talk about mental health to my hearts content. I’d also written a few guest blogs for other sites and a couple of articles for my university newspaper so that gave me a taster.
Advice for New Bloggers:
I actually wrote a post about this with more detail, but I’ll summarise a couple of points here. Firstly, you can’t expect people to come flooding to your blog if you don’t engage with theirs. I admit that I’m not the best at this – I get so busy with work and life that I only get one or two evenings a month where I can sit down and read other people’s blogs. However, I do make sure that my engagement is meaningful – a like, comment or share can go a long way. Secondly, write for you, not for everyone else. I know it’s tempting to try to fit yourself to the blogging ‘mould’, but remember: if everybody else is doing that too, you aren’t going to stand out. You’re also not going to get as much pleasure as writing about something you care about in a way that is natural to you. All the opportunities I’ve had as a result of this blog have been because people have said they like my writing style – I’ve certainly honed this over the last year but I’ve always stayed true to who I am and why I write. That can’t be underestimated.
Next, onto the ‘This or That’ nomination!
Question 1: Shower in the morning or evening?
Firstly, I hate showers, they make me feel like I’m drowning and I can’t wash my hair without getting shampoo in my eyes. Now that’s out the way – evening. I like to wash the day off me and be fresh for bed rather than the other way around.
Question 2: City centre or close to nature?
I’m not sure to be honest. I think a few years ago I would have said city but the older I get the more I think nature. My office is in a forest and I adore it.
Question 3: Bright colours or neutrals?
Brights! As my hair and tattoos probably suggest.
Question 4: Spring or Autumn?
Spring. I love summer and spring means summer is coming!
Question 5: Mint or cinnamon?
I guess mint though I don’t like either.
Question 6: Planned or spontaneous?
I like a good mixture depending on the circumstances! On holiday I am really flexible and happy to be spontaneous. If I’m writing or giving a presentation for example, I will plan to the nth degree.
Question 7: A movie at home or at the cinema?
Cinema. I’m too easily distracted at home.
Question 8: Espresso or latte?
Neither – I hate everything about coffee.
Question 9: Hugs or kisses?
Hugs! Because I like being able to hug my friends and my parents and my boyfriend and my colleagues, and I definitely can’t kiss all of those people (nor would I want to!).
Question 10: Spicy or mild food?
Spicy. I love spicy food – not so spicy you can’t actually taste anything though.
Question 11: Leather or lace?
I think my personality is a mixture of the two and I love them as a combination.
Question 12: Overdressed or underdressed?
That’s actually quite a hard question as both would make me feel self conscious. Over I guess?
Question 13: Adventure or comfort?
Question 14: TV series or movie?
Series because episodes are shorter so I can concentrate easier, and they last longer overall.
Question 15: Rock or country music?
Rock – it takes me back to my teenage years and I still have a lot of rock and metal on my gym playlist.
Question 16: Red or white wine?
White – red wine is vile.
Question 17: Working alone or in a team?
I like being alone within a team which is why I like my job so much! Also I’m a bit of a control freak so I struggle in big teams sometimes if I’m doing a project or something like that.
Question 18: Swimming or sunbathing?
Sunbathing. I love the sun.
Question 19: Fast food or sit-down restaurant?
If I’m going to eat out I’d rather make it into something nice, so I would pick a sit down restaurant.
Question 20: Matched or mismatched socks?
So, I used to always wear odd socks because I couldn’t be bothered to pair them up. A few years ago by coincidence I had a matching pair on and spent the whole day feeling like I fully had my shit together. Now I always wear matching socks.
Question 21: Dancing or singing?
Well I love singing in the car but nobody else needs to be subjected to that! I used to dance a lot as a kid and did a few shows so I’d pick dancing, although I hate dancing in nightclubs and things like that.
Question 22: Phone or the internet?
Internet on my phone is the perfect combination. In terms of communication – internet. If you try and call me we are no longer friends.
Lastly, onto the ‘Ten Facts’ challenge!
This is hard as a lot of these Q&A posts involve telling interesting facts (and I’m really not that interesting!) so some of them might be a bit repetitive – but I figure unless you’re a die-hard reader of mine with a great memory that’s not so much of a problem.
1. I haven’t seen my natural hair in 14 years. I started dying it as a young teenager and I’ve never looked back. Even when it was more ‘natural’ colours like brown and shades of red, it was from a bottle. The only indication I ever get is when my roots come through, and I get rid of them as soon as possible! It’s been bright pink for around 5 years interspersed with purple, pastel pink, turquoise, blonde and rainbow colours.
2. I love pineapple on pizza. I also put it in rice, omelette, burgers and noodles. Don’t @ me.
3. I had my eyebrows tattooed three times. It kept disappearing! Now I have a faint outline that I use as a guide for Wunderbrow and pencil. I don’t really wear much make-up, I never have done, but I will not leave the house without doing my eyebrows because they’re virtually non existent. Thanks, early 00’s.
4. When I was little, I was obsessed with horses. Like obsessed. I had loads of toy horses and my uncle made me a beautiful wooden stable stall to keep them in. I rode three or four times a week and eventually got a pony called Epernay, after the town in France. He was very naughty and I love him. I used to showjump and do dressage, but as I got older we couldn’t afford him any more and I developed an allergy to horses which I’m sure is some sort of cruel joke. I ride when I can now, like on holidays, but I always end up covered in an angry rash afterwards.
5. I’ve seen Mean Girls upwards of 100 times. I know it word by word.
6. I used to smoke 40 cigarettes a day. I now haven’t smoked for nearly 10 years!
7. Even watching people in deep sea on TV gives me a sort of primal nauseous feeling. I am so afraid of deep water. Despite this, I did challenge my fears and swam with whale sharks a couple of years ago, but the pictures don’t show me hyperventilating at the side of the boat for about 10 minutes beforehand!
8. I love all animals and I always have – I always played with animal toys rather than dolls as a child. However, rabbits were never a favourite of mine and I wasn’t overly keen on them. A few years ago I starting to 180 on that opinion and now I have two beautiful lady rabbits who absolutely adore each other and make me very happy.
9. My cat has a theme tune and I sing it to him every day. He likes it a lot.
10. I have almost 30 tattoos, and I got my first one at a house party I threw when I was 14 that a friend of a friend did with a tattoo gun he bought on eBay. Needless to say that was a mistake and I have since had it covered up. That part of my ankle still swells up in sun 14 years later so who knows what was in that ink.
Thank you so much to everyone who nominated me! You can find their blogs here:
I am going to nominate the people below for the Blogger Recognition Award:
Thanks again everyone!